Turning Bystanders Into Upstanders
Bystanders often play a significant role in bullying situations. If your child sees bullying happen, what options do they have? Here are some suggestions that you can discuss with your child:
* Don't laugh or join in because this makes them part of the problem.
* If you feel safe, tell the child bullying:
To stop,* Don't bully back.
It isn't funny,
You don't like it,
It isn't kind or respectful.
* Support the child being bullied by checking in with them and telling them that you are sorry that this happened to them.
* If you are friends with the child who bullies, try to talk to them about it and encourage them to stop.
* Encourage your friends not to participate.
* Most importantly, tell an adult at school and home.
Your child can use their influence positively to build a safer learning environment for all children.
For more information on bullying go to:
Center for Safe Schools: http://www.safeschools.info/bullying-prevention
Federal Stopbullying: http://www.stopbullying.gov/